Sample 60-Seconds Rounds
60-Seconds: Famous Last Names
Here’s a chance for you to do some real detective work. I’ve got a list of famous people, all of whom have been given fictitious last names. To get their real names, just change the last name to its synonym.
- Chief Justice Salmon P. Hot Pursuit
- Comedian Jackie Bricklayer
- Mystery writer Raymond Candlemaker
- Talk-show host Larry Monarch
- Diarist Anne Candid
- Poet Robert Ice Crystals
- Playwright Arthur Flour Grinder
- Painter Benjamin 270 Degrees on the Compass
- Economic philosopher Adam Metalworker
- Naval commander Jonathan Wagon-builder
60 Seconds: American History
- n 1677, William Penn was the first person to write a charter separating what?
Ans. Church and state
- In 1785, Congress initiated mail service using what horse-drawn vehicles?
- Who was the only sitting Vice President to defeat a sitting President in an election?
Ans. Thomas Jefferson
- Who escaped from the shackles of slavery in 1838 to become one of America’s leading orators?<
Ans. Frederick Douglass
- What 1857 Supreme Court decision said that no black, free or slave, could claim citizenship?<
Ans. Dred Scott decision
- In Sept. 1862 Robert E. Lee crossed the Potomac and invaded what state?
- Before this battle, David Farragut was a Rear Admiral: after, a Vice Admiral.
Ans. Mobile Bay
- Which city along the Mississippi River was known as the “Gibraltar of the Confederacy& quot;?
- In 1917, what did President Wilson say “must be made safe for democracy”? Ans. The world
- Name the longest war ever fought by the U.S.
Ans. Vietnam War