(5) The hypotenuse of a right triangle whose legs are 12 feet and 16 feet is how many feet long?
(10) Find the area of a right triangle with a hypotenuse of 10 inches and one leg of 6 inches.
Ans. 24 square inches
(5) Where are brown bears found in the wild? (Name a geographic region.)
Ans. Northern regions of North American and Eurasia
(10) Of the bear's senses, which two are the most acute?
Ans. Hearing, smell
Paul Revere crossed the Charles River with muffled oars, to a waiting horse. Now, tell me who in history crossed what in the following manner.
* In so doing he discovered the Pacific Ocean.
Ans. Balboa crossed the isthmus of Panama.
* He did so on Christmas Eve.
Ans. Washington crossed the Delaware.
Identify the respective wars in which these three ships were involved
* the Maine
Ans. Spanish-American War
* the Monitor
Ans. Civil War
* Old Ironsides
Ans. War of 1812
Identify the characters wearing the following distinctive clothing
* Number Nine shoes
* a coat of many colors
Ans. Joseph or Samuel
* Lincoln green.
Ans. Robin Hood and his merry band
(5) Finish this verse about Henry VIII: "His bride number three was Jane Seymour, / Lady-in-waiting to both Queens before. / Eleven days after Anne's beheading / He and Jane dressed for their ..."
Ans. ... wedding.
(10) Patrick Henry: "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and ..."
(5) This title character attended his own funeral and heard the sermon, while hiding in the gallery with two of his friends. Name this fictional boy created by Mark Twain.
Ans. Tom Sawyer
(10) Critics called this character, first introduced in Life on the Mississippi, a "noble savage." Can you name him?
Ans. Huckleberry Finn
For 5 points each, name the six parts of a business letter.
Ans. Heading, inside address, salutation, body, closing, signature
Paul Revere crossed the Charles River with muffled oars, to a waiting horse. Now, for 10 points apiece, tell me who in history crossed what in the following manner.
* Pursued by chariots.
Ans. Moses (or the Israelites) crossed the Red Sea.
* With elephants.
Ans. Hannibal crossed the Alps.
* He said, "The die is cast."
Ans. Julius Caesar crossed the Rubicon River.
(5) How is the person charged with a crime referred to during a trial? We're looking for a three-syllable word starting with D.
(10) What objectionable strategy is a lawyer using when wording questions in such a way as suggest answers?
Ans. Leading the witness
(5) Under what circumstance should the Heimlich Maneuver be used?
Ans. When someone is choking.
(10) In treating a person for shock, what part of the body should be elevated?